Non-degree Seeking Student Application Instructions
- Complete this form if:
- You wish to take classes at JMU and are not considered to be seeking a degree from JMU.
- You are applying for admittance to a certificate program.
- Complete all information asked for on the form, including information about your residency. Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. If you are claiming Virginia residency for tuition purposes, by submitting this application you agree that you have read and understand the residency requirements and meet the requirements to qualify for in-state tuition and fees. The residency requirements are found at:
You may be required to submit proof of residency.
- Please indicate the course(s) in which you wish to enroll in the box indicated on the form.
- This form is submitted via the internet as an online form. A nonrefundable $20 application fee applies. Certificate students pay a onetime nonrefundable $45.00 application fee. You may pay the application fee with a credit card or an electronic check. **Please note, payment by electronic check requires a verification period of (6) business days before your application is remitted to JMU.
- Completion of the application and payment of the non-refundable fee does not constitute acceptance to the university or guarantee courses can be obtained through registration. Taking a course as a Non-degree Seeking Student does not constitute admission to a program or imply later applicability of these courses toward a program.
- Information from the Non-degree Seeking Student Application must be entered into the Student Information System BEFORE you will be able to register for a course. By providing your social security number, you will be assigned an email address and given an account. Your account grants you access to Ecampus, which will allow you to register for classes via web registration. After the application has been submitted and the non-degree seeking student information has been entered into the system, you must activate your account. You will need to register for the desired course(s) via web registration or walk-in registration. Please consult registration times on the JMU Registrar's web page for detailed information.
- A Non-degree Seeking Student Application must be submitted to Outreach Programs EACH semester for which you wish to register for a course(s).
Continue to Application
Return to Application Menu