The Boston University School of Social Work seeks to enroll students for the Master of Social Work program who are intellectually and emotionally capable of completing graduate education and practicing in the profession of social work. Our thorough application process is designed to help both the School and the candidate determine whether he or she has the essential intellectual and personal attributes necessary for admission. Assessment of this potential is made on the basis of academic training and performance, social work and related work experience, personal qualifications, references, and indications of the applicant's commitment to the profession.
- Completed online application
- $70 application fee (you will be prompted to pay online at the end of this application)
- Personal statement
- Current resume or CV
- Three letters of reference
- Official transcripts from all previous undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate academic institutions.
- GRE or MAT scores if your cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 in the US 4-point scale.
(Please note: you must have or be working towards an undergraduate degree in Social Work from a program accredited by CSWE.)
- Copy of your senior field evaluation (If you do not graduate until May, you must submit a mid-term field evaluation in order to be considered for the program.)
(Please note: you must be enrolled or have recently enrolled in a graduate Social Work Program accredited by CSWE.)
- Field evaluation (for any fieldwork accomplished up to this point)
- Letter of good standing from the Dean/Director of the program (or their designee)
- Your Personal Statement should reflect your reasons for wishing to transfer to the BU School of Social Work
- A syllabus and course catalog description for each course you wish to transfer for credit (submission of these documents is required only after an admission decision has been reached)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for applicants whose first language is not English
(if your undergraduate degree is from an English-speaking university you do not need to submit these test scores)
- Transcript Evaluation with GPA equivalent
(all foreign transcripts that are not from an English-speaking institution must be translated and evaluated by a reputable credential evaluation service)
- Copy of passport and any prior immigration documents
- International Student Data Form, signed and dated (copies are not acceptable)
- Financial Documents showing your ability to pay for your expenses at Boston University (copies are not acceptable)
For more information and to access the forms, please visit the International Student & Scholars Office website: http://www.bu.edu/isso/students/prospective/admissions/index.html
Advanced Standing Program at Charles River Campus: January 15
International Applications: January 15
Charles River Campus & Off-Campus Applicants who seek early decision & consideration for merit scholarships: January 15
Charles River Campus & Off-Campus Applicants: March 1
The Boston University School of Social Work has a limited number of application fee waivers available for applicants who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents, and who can demonstrate either financial need or participation in specialized programs (as noted in the Fee Waiver Request Form at the end of this application). In all cases, supporting documentation is required and must be submitted to the Admission & Financial Aid Office well before application deadlines. Any documents submitted after application deadlines will not be considered. All documents should be submitted by fax to 617-353-5612 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject Line: FEE WAIVER.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOT CONSIDERED SUBMITTED UNTIL YOUR FEE WAIVER HAS BEEN APPROVED. At the end of the application, after clicking submit, you may select the Fee Waiver option. You will be directed to complete the Fee Waiver Request Form and prompted to submit documentation to the Admission & Financial Aid Office. Once your documents have been reviewed, a decision will be rendered. If the waiver is granted, Admissions Staff will acknowledge your online application and the submission process will be complete. If the waiver is denied, your application will be pushed out of the system and you will be asked to submit the $70 application fee. Your application will be fully submitted once you pay the fee.