Application for Undergraduate Admission - Instructions

General Instructions

New freshman applicants must submit official high school transcripts and admissions test scores. (See instructions below)

Transfer applicants must request official transcripts be sent from high school and each college attended.

If you need assistance completing this application, contact:


UW - Oshkosh begins processing applications on September 15 for the following fall semester. The priority dates for new freshman and transfer applications are January 1 and March 1 respectively.


If you are no longer attending high school, submit the application and fee required, and request all required transcripts be sent directly to the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office.


Application Fee: New freshmen must pay a nonrefundable $28 application fee with each application submitted. In addition there is a $5 online application fee from ApplyWeb. The $28 fee is good for one year (two semesters and a summer session).

Transcripts: An official transcript of your complete high school record (beginning with grade 9) is required. If you are still enrolled in high school contact your guidance counselor and ask that an official transcript be forwarded to the UW - Oshkosh. If you have already graduated, contact your high school to have an official transcript sent to UW - Oshkosh. If you have a GED or HSED, you will need to have an official score report sent in addition to an official high school transcript.

Test Scores: Most Wisconsin residents are required to submit the results of the American College Test (ACT) to each UW campus to which they are applying. UW - Oshkosh will accept the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) from non-resident applicants in lieu of the ACT. Nontraditional students are sometimes not required to submit the results of the ACT or SAT. Refer to the publication Introduction to the University of Wisconsin System, or contact the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office to obtain detailed information about ACT/SAT requirements. If you have not taken the ACT, contact your high school counselor or the UW System HELP Office, at 1-800-442-6459 to obtain information about how and when to take the test.

Courses in Progress: If you are still attending high school, be sure to complete Section IV of this form. If you are taking college courses while in high school, list them in Section V.


Application Fee: The nonrefundable $28 application fee is required if you are entering a degree program within the UW System for the first time. In addition there is a $5 online application fee for ApplyWeb. The $28 application fee is not required if you previously attended any UW System institution as a degree candidate.

Transcripts: An official transcript of your complete high school record (beginning with grade 9) and transcripts from all postsecondary institutions you have attended are required. Contact your high school and each previously attended institution to request that official transcripts be sent to the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office. If you have a GED/HSED, you will also need to have an official score report sent.

Test Scores: Neither the ACT nor the SAT is generally required of transfer students. You will be notified if any standardized test scores are required in order to complete your application.

Courses in Progress: If you are currently enrolled at a college or university, be sure to complete Section V.


Application Fee: The $28 application fee is not required if you previously attended any UW System institution as a degree candidate. The $5 ApplyWeb application fee is still required.

Transcripts: You need not resubmit your high school transcripts. However, if you have attended any college or university since you last attended UW - Oshkosh, you must request official transcripts from these institutions.

Test Scores: Not required. Courses in Progress: If you are currently enrolled at a college or university, be sure to complete Section V of this application.


If you are seeking admission as a special/nondegree student, you need only to submit the undergraduate admission application. The $28 application fee, high school transcript, and college transcript(s) are not required for admission under this classification. However the $5 online application fee for ApplyWeb will be assessed.


(Refer to specific item number in brackets.)

Previous Name(s) (7): Be sure to provide all previous names under which any high school or postsecondary educational records may exist for you.

Social Security Number (8): Federal law allows the UW System institutions to request and use your social security number. If you intend to apply for financial aid, you are required to provide your social security number. If you do not intend to apply for financial aid, providing your social security number is optional. If you do provide your social security number, it will be used and disclosed only as described in the Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number section of these instructions

Racial/Ethnic Heritage (17): You are not required to disclose your racial/ethnic heritage. However, you are strongly encouraged to do so, since having this information will assist the UW System in providing effective programs to the heterogeneous population it seeks to serve. Please check the category that most accurately reflects your heritage. American Indian and Alaskan Natives are encouraged to enter tribal affiliation in addition to checking the appropriate category. The category Asian/Pacific Islander includes all those whose origins are traceable to the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian sub-continent or the Pacific Islands. A special designation applies to Hmong people and other Southeast Asians admitted to the U.S. after December 31, 1975, and who are former citizens of Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam, or whose ancestors are or were citizens of these countries. The racial/ethnic information you provide will be treated as confidential and will be used and disclosed only as described in the Use and Disclosure of Racial/Ethnic Information section of these instructions.


Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, you must pay non-resident tuition. In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes even after living in Wisconsin a year or more. In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition, but there are some exceptions:

  1. If you graduated from a Wisconsin high school and your parents have lived continuously in Wisconsin for at least one year prior to enrollment, you may qualify as a Wisconsin resident. Complete all parts of Section II of the application form and your status will be determined.
  2. If one of your parents lives in Wisconsin and you are a tax dependent of one of your parents, or if you are a refugee who came to Wisconsin immediately upon entering the United States, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate. You may also qualify to pay at the resident rate if you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Wisconsin, a migrant worker who has worked in Wisconsin annually or the spouse or child of a person in one of these categories. If you believe that you may qualify under one of these categories, contact the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office for additional information about Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2).
  3. If you, your spouse or someone who claims you as a tax dependent moved to Wisconsin within the last 12 months to begin full-time employment in Wisconsin, or plans to do so before the beginning of the term for which you are applying, you may be eligible to pay resident fees. Provide information to the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office regarding the name of the employed person and your relationship (self, spouse, dependent) and the dates that the employed person: a) moved to Wisconsin; b) accepted and began full-time employment with current employer; c) obtained a Wisconsin driver's license; d) registered a motor vehicle; and e) began having Wisconsin income taxes withheld. In addition, please submit a letter from the employer of the person described above which: a) verifies the person has been continuously employed full-time with that employer since the date of hire; b) states whether the person was transferred to Wisconsin or accepted new full-time employment here; and c) states the dates full-time employment was accepted and begun or will begin. Dependents of the employed person must also verify dependent status by submitting a copy of the top portion of the employed person's most recently filed federal income tax return and a statement from the employed person of the expected duration of the dependent status. If there will be a lengthy delay in obtaining the letter from the employer or, if applicable, dependent status verification, please submit your application now, stating you think you qualify. You will be contacted for additional information later. If you are unsure whether you qualify for resident tuition under any of these provisions, contact the UW - Oshkosh Admissions Office for more information.

Minnesota Residents: You may be eligible to participate in the Wisconsin/Minnesota tuition reciprocity program. If interested, contact the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board, 400 Capitol Square Bldg., 550 Cedar St., St. Paul, MN 55101-2292 (612-296-3974 or 1-800-657 3866). On this application, you should not claim legal Wisconsin residence. You will be classified as a nonresident at the UW - Oshkosh.


Financial Aid: You may submit an application for financial aid after January 1 of the year in which you wish to enroll (for fall semester applicants). It is generally to your advantage to apply as soon as possible after January 1. A financial aid application form and information concerning the application process may be obtained from your high school counselor or from the UW - Oshkosh Financial Aid Office. If you are applying for spring or summer semester enrollment, consult the UW - Oshkosh Financial Aid Office for more information about appropriate deadlines. Note that you must provide your social security number on your application for admission if you intend to apply for financial aid. Applying for financial aid will have no bearing on an admission decision.

On-Oshkosh Housing: UW - Oshkosh automatically furnishes housing information and contracts to each applicant admitted. It is important to apply for housing early.

Equal Opportunity: UW - Oshkosh is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, sex, creed, age, ancestry, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, marital status, or arrest or conviction record in its educational programs, activities and employment policies. This statement is published in accordance with Section 86.9 of Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implementing Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972, with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Inquiries concerning compliance with the requirements of Title IX referring to equal opportunity regardless of sex may be directed to the UW System Office of Equal Opportunity Compliance and Policy Studies, 1802 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr., Madison, WI 53706 (608-262-6404). Inquiries pertaining to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability may be addressed to the Office of the Chancellor of any UW System institution.

Regent Policy on Discrimination: It is the policy of the UW System Board of Regents that racist and discriminatory conduct will not be tolerated within the UW System. Discrimination, discriminatory attitudes and expressions that reflect discrimination are inconsistent with the efforts of the UW System to foster an environment of respect for the dignity and worth of all members of the university community and to eliminate all manifestations of discrimination within the UW System. Racist and discriminatory conduct encompasses harassment based upon the race, sex, religion, color, creed, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry or age of an individual or individuals.

Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number: Federal law (20 U.S.C., Section 12-32g.) allows the UW System to request and use the social security number for routine record keeping and institutional statistics. It may be used in connection with necessary billing and collection efforts which may include disclosure to federal, state or local agencies; to private parties such as relatives, present and former employers, business and personal associates; to guarantee agencies; to educational and financial institutions; to credit bureaus and collection agencies and to agency contractors in order to verify your identity, determine program eligibility and benefits, permit servicing or collecting of a debt, enforce the conditions or terms of a debt, counsel you in repayment efforts, investigate possible fraud and verify compliance with any relevant program regulations, and locate you in the event you become delinquent in repayment of a debt.

If you intend to apply for financial aid, the social security number is required. As applied to financial aid, it may be used for a number of purposes, including verification of identity of the borrower or recipient and as an account number throughout the life of a loan; determination of program eligibility; certification of enrollment and student status; determination of eligibility for deferment, cancellation or repayment by third parties; determination of eligibility for disability or death claims; and, in case of delinquent or defaulted loans, for tracing the borrower and collecting.

Use and Disclosure of Racial/Ethnic Information: The U. S. Department of Education requires the university to report the number of students in various racial/ethnic categories. Your cooperation in furnishing accurate information will be appreciated.

Racial/ethnic heritage information will be treated as confidential and will not appear on academic records, grade reports, class lists or transcripts. Individual student racial/ ethnic information will not be supplied to persons outside the UW System unless the student gives prior written consent. Within the UW System, individual student racial/ethnic information will be released only by approval of the Chancellor or a designee of the Chancellor.

Requesting Disability Related Accommodations and Services: To receive information about disability related services, including accommodations and academic adjustments, contact Disabled Student Services at It is recommended that requests for disability related services be made as soon as possible.

800 Algoma Boulevard
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8602
(414) 424-0202

Return to the Application Menu