International Student Online Application Requirements

Office of International Students and Scholars/074
Student Services Building, Room 120
Reno, NV 89557

Telephone: 775-784-6874
Fax: 775-327-5845

Thank you for your interest in the University of Nevada, Reno. We hope to facilitate your admission to the university and make the process as efficient as possible. Applications are accepted throughout the year, but those applying for undergraduate program or transferring from another institution within the US should apply by March 1 for Fall Semester and November 1 for Spring Semester. Students applying for graduate assistantships should submit applications by February 1 for Fall Semester and October 1 for Spring Semester. Graduate students should contact the department they are applying to for specific department deadlines and additional application requirements. For questions regarding visa issues, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at:

To ensure the speed of processing your application, please send all documents requested on the checklist. Files cannot be evaluated for admission until complete. Please allow two to three weeks for processing of your application once all required documents have been received.  Note that applications cannot be processed without the application fee.

We urge you to contact your department for additional information and specific admission requirements. However, departmental contact is only one part of the admission process. Receiving an acceptance from your department does not mean that you have been admitted to the university, but is a good indication you may be admissible.

Undergraduate degree seeking students should submit all documents to:
University of Nevada, Reno
Admissions and Records/MS 120
Reno, Nevada 89557 USA

All graduate applications, transcripts, financial documents, and test scores must be addressed to:
University of Nevada, Reno
Graduate School/MS 326
Reno, Nevada 89557 USA

Many departments may send you an application specific to the program of study you are interested in pursuing. This application is for the departments use only and will not be acceptable for official admission to the university. We encourage you to contact the department you are interested in directly as they may have specific admission requirements or deadlines. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply directly to the department in which they wish to study for teaching or research assistantships.

Once an applicant has been admitted, the letter of admission and I-20 or DS-2019 will be prepared by the university and sent to the applicant. The I-20 or DS-2019 form must be signed in the appropriate place and submitted to the U.S. Consulate with supporting financial documents in order to obtain the visa. Individuals who intend to pursue a full course of study or to apply for an immigrant visa (green card) in the near future are advised NOT to request a visitors Visa (B-2) at the U.S. Consulate as a means of gaining entry to the U.S.

International students and scholars are required to report to the Office of International Students and Scholars (with a passport and I-20 or DS-2019 form) and attend the International Student Check-In Meeting. The Check-In Meeting is ma ndatory for ALL students and scholars. You need to visit the Intensive English Language Center (IELC) to register for the English placement test and meet with an Academic Advisor in your department to discuss your course schedule.

International students are also required to visit the Student Health Center prior to registration in order to have their immunization history reviewed and to receive immunizations as deemed necessary. Immunizations administered include the PPD (Tuberculin test), MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), and TD (tetanus, diptheria). If you have previously received these immunizations in your home country, please bring supporting documents with an English translation. If you cannot complete your immunizations in your home country, they are available at the Student Health Center for a nominal fee.

The International Student Health Insurance and Student Health Service provided by the University are required for all international students holding F-1 and J-1 visas. The Student Health Service covers visits to the on-campus Student Health Center for minor medical problems.

International students are required to register for at least 12 credits (as an undergraduate) and 9 credits (as a graduate student) to maintain full time student status. Generally most classes are 3 credits.

 If you would like further information about the university or the status of your application, please feel free to contact us at Note that application status will be available approximately three weeks following receipt of complete application materials.

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Dr. Susan Bender, Director
Office of International Students and Scholars

To apply to the University of Nevada, Reno prospective students should do the following:

$95.00 (U.S. Currency) electronic payment paid at the time of electronic application submission. Note that application materials cannot be evaluated without the application fee.

Formal application for admission

Submit verification of having met the English requirement through one of the following options:

Submit a signed original Financial Data Form accompanied by the original bank statement showing a minimum of $20,960 for Fall 2005 and Spring 2006 semesters. Financial documents must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission. If you are granted a scholarship or financial assistance you must send us a copy of the scholarship or assistantship award letter. If the award is less than $20,960 or if you intend to bring dependents, you will be asked to provide additional funds to meet the required amount- $7,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child.

If you are transferring to UNR from another U.S. higher education institution, please complete and submit the Transfer Verification Form as well as documents listed on the International Transfer Student Checklist.

Submit copies of the current passport, and if you are transferring from another school,please submit copies of previous school(s), I-20(s) or DS-2019(s), visa, and I-94 card.

Please have original transcripts sent directly from the high school and/or higher educational institution(s) you attended along with a certified English translation. Transcripts must arrive at UNR in an envelope sealed by the ins titution and contain proper original signatures, stamps, and institution seals. Copies of transcripts will not be accepted.

Prospective Undergraduate Students should also submit:

Official high school transcripts showing date of graduation and/or certificate of graduation and official transcripts from any higher education institution attended.

Prospective Graduate Students should also submit:

Two official transcripts and degree certificates (proof that the degree was awarded) from your educational institution.

Official GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores sent directly from ETS to UNR, institution code, 4844 if it is required by your department.

Contact your academic department to inquire about any additional information and/or test scores that may be required. Resume, personal statements, and recommendation letters can be sent directly to the academic department. If you are seeking a teaching or research assistantship you must contact your academic department directly. The academic department makes decisions regarding the award of assistantships. Please visit for information on graduate programs of study at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Check with department to which you are applying for specific admission requirements and deadlines for application materials.

Intensive English Language Center (IELC)

The University of Nevada, Reno has an Intensive English Language Center (IELC), which offers programs teaching students the English language skills needed to enroll in United States colleges and universities. You do not have to apply for conditional admission to attend the Intensive English Language Center. IELC offers six semester entry dates throughout the year. Please visit the IELC website at for more informatio n. IELC students need to submit the following:

Formal application for admission indicating choice of semester or module.

Official financial documentation (original documents from a financial institution) equivalent to two semesters of expenses.


The Nevada, Reno General Catalog, which includes all of the undergraduate and graduate programs and course descriptions, university calendar, student services and activities information is available on the Internet at:

Return to Online Application Menu